Are there times when you feel uncomfortable in crowded places? Are there moments when you feel as if your space is being invaded? This is a reaction triggered by your aura. It’s possible that someone else’s aura is intruding yours.
At times, you feel uneasy in the presence of a certain person. When you enter a room, you have this sense that something is wrong. The human aura is a strong electromagnetic field. We give off electrical energy and absorb magnetic one.
You can feel this energy force in a room full of people, where varying energies, positive and negative, are being interchanged.
“Vibes don’t lie” indeed. It’s the aura and the vibes it emits that speak volumes about anyone or anything. Yup, not only us people but everything in the Universe. Because at the most basic level, everything is energy.
The aura is an extension of our energies, be it strong or weak, fair or otherwise, light and bright, or dull and dense. It is a band of energy that surrounds us, a life energy that can be sensed around every living thing, plants, trees, animals, birds, and people.
Truth is, we’re always experiencing these auras though we may not always be aware of them.
The 7 Layers of Aura
Auras are part of your subtle energy body. They are intimately linked to the chakra system and therefore directly affect them. Each chakra corresponds to a specific layer of aura.
There are seven layers of aura, but the most accessible to human perception are the first three layers surrounding the human body. Auras can be seen with eyes wide open or they can also be seen psychically with eyes closed.
In her visually-striking book, The Zenned Out Guide to Understanding Auras, Cassie Uhl walks us through the 7 layers of aura, a.k.a. the 7 layers of the body:
The etheric body is the closest aura layer to the physical body. This layer corresponds to the root chakra and represents your connection to the physical world. It’s often the layer that people see when they learn to see auras. The colors it usually presents are white, light blue, or gray. The etheric body is a thin layer, about 1 to 2 inches out from the body.
The second layer, your emotional body, is usually the most colorful aura depicting your different emotions. It corresponds to the sacral chakra. The colors vary every moment depending on your mood.
This layer corresponds to your solar plexus chakra and relates to everything that has to do with your thinking. It may appear bigger and brighter in those who use the power of their minds consciously.
These first 3 layers of your aura are associated with your physical body, while the last 3 layers represent your spiritual body. Bridging them together is your astral body, a.k.a. the “bridge layer.”
Your astral body is the fourth layer of your aura and corresponds to the heart chakra. Not only does it bridges the physical and spiritual realms, but it’s also the layer that connects to everything else.
Your etheric template is the fifth layer of your aura and corresponds to the throat chakra. This layer is referred to as a template because it contains information for a replica of your physical body. The etheric layer is accessible through sound healing, music, and singing.
Your celestial body is the sixth layer of your aura and corresponds to the third eye chakra. Your subconscious mind dwells within your celestial body. This energy field also has access to the spirit realm, including your higher self, the spirit world, and your spirit guides. The celestial layer is accessible through meditation.
The seventh and final layer of your aura is associated with your crown chakra. It’s where your soul resides. This layer contains information about your past lives and your purpose for this lifetime. This layer of the aura is accessible through deep meditative work focusing on the crown chakra. It is your direct connection to Source (God).
It’s very unusual for people to see all seven layers of aura. Even professional aura readers cannot see them without practice.
This is why it’s important to learn other ways of experiencing auras and interpreting them.
Aura Colors and Meanings
Colors are an important aspect of aura reading. Below is a description of the meanings that the different colors hold.
This is a confusing color. There is nothing wrong with black in one’s aura. Black generally means one is shielding oneself from outside energies. This can also mean being unbalanced; one is hiding something or keeping secrets. A black ring usually indicates some form of abuse, adults who have not dealt with early abuse will carry this black ring until they are healed.
This comes in different shades. Gifted people have shades of blue in their aura. Intuitive people will show pale blue coloration within the purple bursting out like rays of sunshine, emanating from the heart outwards. A deeper blue can indicate loneliness. A very deep blue shows devotion, honesty, and good judgment whereas muddier shades of blue indicate a domineering person or a tendency towards depression.
This color can indicate growth in a person. Seen around the head and with other colors emanating in combination, it indicates a person who is developing mentally, intuitively, and organizing within. Brown by itself can indicate a lack of energy or one who has become “stagnant”.
Indicates lots of spiritual energy, being in tune with oneself. Muddy gold means one has not really come to terms with one’s higher levels.
Usually seen around a thinker, an analytical person. It could indicate a “balanced” person. Intelligent people show this color around their heads.
Sympathetic to others, dependable, and has healing abilities. A muddier shade could indicate jealousy.
Can indicate intuition and creativity. Silvery gray shows femininity while darker gray can mean secretiveness or physical imbalance.
Bright orange means one is growing emotionally. A dull shade means a person is unsure how to accept this growth. Muddy orange shows in a person with too much pride.
The color of love and honesty. It also depicts the quieter side of an artistic and creative person. Dark pink may indicate immaturity or changes in one’s love life. Dull pink, however, watch out: someone might be lying.
The color of intuition. A deeper purple hue shows a strong-willed and passionate person. It can also reflect intense erotic imagination and a tendency to be overbearing.
A color of love or hate, strong emotions, and a lot of energy. An intense red color, however, may indicate a person is ready to fly off the handle.
How to See Auras
It only makes sense to practice seeing your aura first before you try it on others.
Seeing auras is a matter of taking your eyes slightly out of focus. If you’ve ever been able to see those holographic picture-in-a-picture things then you shouldn’t have any trouble seeing auras as you do exactly the same thing with your eyes.
Seeing Your Own Aura
Here’s an easy exercise outlined by Cassie in her book:
- Before you begin, do a short meditation for 2 to 5 minutes, or practice some of the third eye-balancing techniques.
- Find a white or neutral-colored wall to use for this activity. The ceiling works well if you don’t have any blank walls around.
- You’ll use either a hand or your feet for this exercise. If you’re using your hand, find a comfortable seat, preferably somewhere where you can rest your arm on your knee, so it doesn’t get tiring. If you are using your ceiling as your backdrop, using your feet is the best option. If you’re going to view your feet for this aura exercise, you can lie on your back and put your feet up in the air.
- Holding your arm out or your feet out, focus your gaze on the negative space around your arm or feet. Your focus could be the L shape of your hand or in between your feet. Relax your eyes as much as you can. Try not to focus on your body or the background, but instead, on the space around the hand or feet.
- Your eyes should feel relaxed and soft. If you feel yourself tensing up or trying really hard to focus, take a break or try again tomorrow.
- You should begin to see a white, gray, or light blue haze around your hand or feet. It might leave as soon as you blink, and that’s okay. When you become more proficient at adjusting your eyes to see auras, you’ll be able to see them more steadily even through your blinks.
Seeing the Aura of Others
Have your partner stand in front of a white or light-colored wall in a dimly lit room. Then have them hold one finger in front of their face, about 6 inches out from their chin.
Now focus your eyes on their finger, not their face. Have them remove their finger but keep looking at the same spot. You’ll have to relax your eyes a bit to do this. Now, using that same relaxed vision, if you look at them you should be able to see what looks like a little line that runs all around them a couple of inches out from their body.
The next layer out is even fainter and may have colors associated with it. The different meanings of the colors vary widely depending on who you’re talking to. Open up your awareness and see for yourself which colors seem to be associated most often with which types of people and their behaviors.
Play with this a bit. Does their aura change when they think happy thoughts? Sad thoughts? Angry thoughts?
Some people can see auras instantly and others have to work at it. Don’t be put off if it takes a while. As you work with this, you’ll gradually become aware of even more subtle layers of energy that surround people.
Protecting and Healing Your Aura
Cassie also shares several tips for protecting and healing your aura, which include:
- Aura Visualization – visualize a bright white light enveloping your entire body. You may ask for support from your guardian angels (Michael is my go-to for protection) or other spirit guides.
- Crystals – more effective when you set your intentions properly for they amplify the energy of the crystals you’re working with.
- Amethyst – transmutes negative energy into love; also connects with your third eye
- Black Tourmaline (or Hematite, Smoky Quartz) – protects you from all negative energies; also deflects electromagnetic fields (EMF pollution that comes from technological devices)
- Labradorite – not only for shielding but also helps in restoring tears and holes in your aura (highly recommended by Cassie for auric health)
- Selenite – for aura cleansing and clearing out stagnant energy
- Larimar – soothes the emotional body layer of the aura
- Kunzite – strengthens the aura
- Sunstone – removes blocks in the aura
- Get Grounded – apply the practices for balancing the root chakra
- Sound Healing – OM chanting
- Salt Water Bath – add 1 to 2 cups of Himalayan or Epsom salt to a bath. I personally bless the water for purification and healing intentions.
- Pranayama Breathing – to amplify and strengthen your aura
- Herbal Smoke – burn the herb of your choice and waft the smoke around your body; you may use white sage, cedar, mugwort, juniper, rosemary, palo santo, lavender, desert sage, frankincense, copal, myrrh
And that’s a wrap for our 101 on Auras.
This confirms that we’re more than just the physical body — there’s the subtle energy body — and the many layers of it.
So when it comes to health, it’s only imperative that we also take into account the non-physical aspects of our being.
And we’re now armed with the knowledge and equipped with the tools and techniques for healing ourselves and living healthy ever after!